• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

April 27, 2024, 09:09:44 pm

News:

This Forum is an Extension of the Old Delray Website www.Old-Delray.com

Delray Railroad Tower

Started by MagyarMan, October 13, 2009, 06:40:08 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MagyarMan

October 13, 2009, 06:40:08 am Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 06:47:42 am by MagyarMan
Submitted on behalf of Rich Gadwell

The Tower you show at the Start, is the Railroad my Father brothers and my self all worked for when we lived in Delray on Keller st. My Grandmother owned the grocery store on Keller st. & leigh st. My Aunt Mary owned the Merry go Inn Bar across the st from the store. My Father was the Hero that stopped the train on a very Foggy morning in Delray with all Detroit Tiger Executive and some players on it. It made the Newspapers. His picture and my younger brother was sitting on his lap for the photo. He rec'd a accomadation from President Dwight D Eisenhower and we rec'd one year of passes to all the Tiger games that year. It was between 1951 and 1952. I don't have the exact date. We all attended St. Johns Cantius Parish and school. Believe it or not, I moved down to Crossville, Tenn 2 years ago, and met people here from old Delray, even a women I went to school with at St. Johns Cantius, her name now is Bernidette Abbott, use to be Bogucki, she lived on Harbaugh st. It's a small world. If I was a wiz on computers I could send you lots of pictures and tell you lots of stories. I hung around with Joe Chuntus and Tom Tulak and even some Gypsie's the Malanvich and Ferry Family. I hope I'm spelling these names correctly. I even shind shoes in Delray Bars. Work for John on Jefferson and Westend sellling cigararetts and pipe tobacco in that little dorway. My brother Larry worked for Fox Furniture and Hdwre. That's alll for now, talk to you later with much more.  Rich gadwell Crossville tenn.

buehler740

Ah yes the tower its still there our house is just behind there but havent seen a picture of it where I can see the houses way in the back ground