March 28, 2024, 09:13:32 pm

News:

This Forum is an Extension of the Old Delray Website www.Old-Delray.com

Hungarian Families

Started by MagyarMan, October 11, 2009, 09:50:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MagyarMan

As remembered by:  Ron Takacs

Hello Richard and hello to your hungarian families I hope all is well I have been waiting for stories from the children that grew up in Delray during the early 60s i know there were children back then becuase i played baseball and got in a few street fights back then i wonder where that guy went who socked me right in the eye i just wanted to thank him for making me tough i sure needed a start into manhood so if your out there and you remember a fall night next to the train track at the end of vanderbuilt street im not mad at you anymore plus im too old now to make a difference but i have alot of old stories about old Delray boy i remeber how you went out all day to play with the neighborhood kids they were always doing something fun fishing was always a good time down at the end by west jefferson and dearborn ave they still fish there today boy i sure miss those days nobody had much money but we still had fun you didnt get in too much trouble in those days becuase adults would keep you in line back then kids had respect for elders back in those days and god forbid your parent found out you were causing trouble or smarting off to an adult your pop would let you know back in the garage why you shouldnt treat others that way but that was just a small story about life in old delray i remeber the hunky women from the church getting together in the church basement for crafts or cards or just getting together to see old freinds the church was a large part of life in delray the church always had activities for the community families had get togethers and something was always going on in old delray it was a very tight knit community the streets were always busy the stores were always filled and the town was alive with life and bounty i miss delray as it was it was a abeautiful place to live the streets were clear of garbage oh there was a few drunks but not like today the trash was in the cans not on the streets the people of old delray had town pride they keep delray safe and sound the streets were clean and people kept there homes neat and the grass was so green and the flowers were everywhere you looked you thought you were in the movie oz the colors were so vivid some of the roses and lilies and people washed the walks everyday becuase of the soot from zug island and the smell of wayne soap i think thats why my grandmother always had something cooking or baking to cover up the smell of the factories but nobody seemed to mind but hey who cared anyway it was our town good bye for now ron Takacs robert takacs is my father and im glad he took me to grandmas house in old delray

Tressa

Hello,

I too also grew up in Delray on Melville Street. I was born in 1970 so by the time that I was 10, a lot of the "hungarians" had started moving further downriver, Southgate, Allen Park, etc.
I can honestly say that even in the 70's and 80's, as children we still played in the alleys, were allowed to stay out "until the street lights came on", and we were super excited when Holy Cross put in the fountain and "pink floor" to hang out at with our friends.
Holy Cross has always been our family parish and I am very proud to have had my baptism, communion, confirmation and wedding in this wonderful church that is still trying to survive even though the "neighborhood" is in dire need of assistance.
I am hoping everyone that gets Richards updates, forwards them to other fellow "hunkys" and we may be able to rekindle some lost friends from years past.
As always, I hope everyone is well and have a great day!

Tressa Komara (Hornok)

MagyarMan

I also grew up playing in the alleys that ran through Keller and Lyons streets 65 years ago in the early 1940's.
I can't remember where I laid my car keys today, but I can remember growing up in Delray and the house I lived in on Keller. I lost a part of my ear horseing around on the wrought iron fence around St. John Cantius church one day on my way home from Morley school. I rember the markets well. Mrs Tar's on Dearborn. The live animal market on Dearborn. The small Polish butcher market on Leigh st where he killed the chicken and tossed them in a barrel to flop around untill dead, then he wraped up the still warm chicken for you. Now that's fresh! My favorite market through the years was Tony Papovich's Hungarian meat market on Jefferson just around the corner from Dearborn. Kolbasz and Szalonna hung from the ceiling. Sawdust covered the floor. And the smell...... Well, somethings you just can never forget. Norman Rockwell would have been proud to have lived in Delray. This was Americanna, as it was, Once Upon A Time.....

Tressa

Good afternoon all,

Holy Cross Hungarian Parish is offering a Pre-Thanksgiving Sale of some wonderful Hungarian Favorites.

Kalacs--$12.00 each, choose from Walnut or Poppy Seed
Kolbasz--$4.00 per pound
Hurka--$4.00 per pound
Stuffed Cabbage--$12.00 per dozen

All orders MUST be in BEFORE November 08, 2009 and delivery will be Saturday November 14th 2009 @ 3:00pm and Sunday November 15th after the 9:00am and 11:00am Masses.

Please contact the parish @ 313.842.1133 or email sztkereszt@comcast.net

Another Kalacs Sale will be held in December, just in time for the holidays!

Love & Peace
Tressa Komara

jhugley

Hi Tressa, It's your cousin joel hugley, and man I wish I could get in on the kalacs sale, can orders be mailed to another state?

Tressa

Hello Joel,

I emailed you directly but I am not sure that you received it. I may have ended up in your "spam' because of our domain.
Yes, the church will ship out of state. Please contact Jennifer Balog @ 313.842.1133.
Hope to hear from you soon.
Take care,
Tressa

sammy davis

This bring Back Good Memories, Hurka, Kolbasz, Kalachs, keflies pastry rolled in Apricot or Leqvar Prune butter, am hungry!

MagyarMan

I made my own plum Lekvar this year for the first time. Lots of work,but it turned out good. I also have some Hurka, Kolbasz, Kalachs, and keflies pastry in my freezer that I bought at the 2009 Birmingham Ethnic Festival in Toledo. A great place to keep in touch with your Hungarian heritage.
www.BirminghamEthnicFestival.org

Arlene Kish

How wonderful to find this forum.  It is appropriate that I found it today which is my dad's birthday.  He was born on 12/22/1919 at home on Bacon Street.  Frank was the youngest of 7 children born to Louis and Mary Kish. (Gizella, Louis, Mary, Charlie, Bill, Annie, & Frank/my dad)  Although my grandparents and family moved to the Greenfield community (Liebold Street) in the 30's, I have wonderful memories of the culture and people, and hope to re-connect with my roots.

MagyarMan

Quote from: Arlene Kish on December 22, 2009, 01:27:16 pm
How wonderful to find this forum.  It is appropriate that I found it today which is my dad's birthday.  He was born on 12/22/1919 at home on Bacon Street.  Frank was the youngest of 7 children born to Louis and Mary Kish. (Gizella, Louis, Mary, Charlie, Bill, Annie, & Frank/my dad)  Although my grandparents and family moved to the Greenfield community (Liebold Street) in the 30's, I have wonderful memories of the culture and people, and hope to re-connect with my roots.

Welcome Arlene to my forum and website. I have just added your parents to my Residents of Old Delray List in the website. There are other "Kish's" listed there. Are they also from your family?
I look forwards to seeing some of your memories and photos of Old Delray.