• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 12, 2024, 06:10:21 pm

News:

This Forum is an Extension of the Old Delray Website www.Old-Delray.com

Barnes Street and Medina St.

Started by lassenv, April 12, 2010, 01:24:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

lassenv

Someone mentioned in a report that most of the Hungarians living on these two streets (closest to Zug Island) were from the village of sarud, in Heves County.   Someone wrote on this website that these two  Streets were where most of the gypsies lived.  My family are not gypsies and neither were the people that I knew who lived on these streets. I just wanted to clear that up.  :(

MagyarMan

Quote from: lassenv on April 12, 2010, 01:24:11 pm
Someone mentioned in a report that most of the Hungarians living on these two streets (closest to Zug Island) were from the village of sarud, in Heves County.   Someone wrote on this website that these two  Streets were where most of the gypsies lived.  My family are not gypsies and neither were the people that I knew who lived on these streets. I just wanted to clear that up.  :(

Thank you for your contribution. I am not sure where that statement came from. Delray was a complex and diverse community. The opinions and material on this forum and the Old Delray website reflects the views of the contributor as they remembered them. Facts can sometimes get hazy after 50 years. I'm sure no harm was ment by those statements. I'm sure your family was a credit to  the Delray community, and I would be happy to add their names to my Families of Old Delray List on the website if you would furnish me with the proper information.

buehler740

No we had Hungarians all over Delray no gypsies and what exactly does the fraze mean Gypsy? I hear it but not sure what it means ???

MagyarMan

Quote from: buehler740 on April 21, 2010, 03:22:23 pm
No we had Hungarians all over Delray no gypsies and what exactly does the fraze mean Gypsy? I hear it but not sure what it means ???

Do a Google search for what is a gypsy
There I found a lot of definitions and meanings.

MagyarMan

I think the Hungarian word for gypsy is cigan or cigany.
Lots of Google info using this word.

buehler740

No hungarian family there were gypsy' we werent, just good hungarian familys

:)

Lizzie

Hello. I grew up on West End  and Burdeno. I remember the hungarian "Gypsies". Some of the people I knew were. Im not sure if it reflects on a certain region they immigrated from or not though. I remember standing out of a bar on Jefferson ave, when the gypsy band was playing. I still have a record of gypsy music that belonged to my grandfather. The gypsy band was my first introduction to live stringed music..it was wonderful.

Andy5161

My family lived on Medina in the 1950's.  I was very young, but I remember that the family across the street were the owners of Gabels Bar.  The family across the alley from us was the Williams family who were very nice people.  They were African American, and their son who was about my age,was nick named Junior.  Mrs williams worked at one of the downtown hotels and Mr. Williams worked at the Rouge plant.  The other neighbors I remember were all hard working families who were all very friendly.